HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Garmin Astro
Thread: Garmin Astro
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
daleh

Default RE: Garmin Astro

I've got one and use it often.
I have noticed: It works very well when you can see the dog. It works in thinned out pines most of the time. In the woods it does not work at all. If your dog gets too far away it does not work. It has its flaws especially the anteana. Buy a spare or two. First 3 months charges up and works for days. After that every day charging is a must. Blinks off and on now when wet.
What I do like. GPS programming of coveys and run time. distance traveled etc. technical stuff and ease of use compared to others
I still use the Tracker and put one on every dog every time out the kennel.
The radio hand-held device is crude and takes some getting used too. However, It works each and every time and has a much longer range.
Downsides to the Tracker
Allot of batteriestwo 9v in thehandheld unit and don't know what to call the little batteries in the collar except expensive.
No one can just pick it up and start using it. You have to learn the unit and how to read it. It takes some time turning it 360 degrees and adjusting the dial. It picks up the signal facing either way. You have to deturmine ifthe dog is in front or behind you.
Marshal may make the best one, people that use them sware by them. I just can't carry that FCC house anteana around with me on walking hunts or horse-back.