HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Target Panic?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Target Panic?

You COULD spend more money and buy another doodad that might, or might not help fix your problem. The problem is not your release, though. It' s between your ears. Target panic is nothing more, and nothing less, than the fear of missing the target. It just affects different people in different ways.

With me, I was getting tensed up telling myself, by golly you' re gonna drill this next one, and then just blowing up. Every stinkin' target! When I quit TRYING so dang hard to hit the x-ring and just let myself execute the shot, I was shooting good again.

Establish a pre-shot routine and go through it step by step. I calm myself using breath control. After I take my stance I load the arrow and hook my fingers on the string (you' d hook your release). Take a good, slow, deep breath and exhale slowly. Taking about twice as long on the exhale as I did on the inhale. In through the nose and out through the mouth. As I draw, I begin taking another deep breath, finish it as I come on target and exhale slowly while aiming. The release will takes place as I begin the next breath and increase back tension.

Concentrate more on relaxing than on the release and just let it happen.

Any time it doesn' t feel right, let down!

That' s a great breathing exercise any time you' re feeling tense. Sit in a chair or lie down. Take slow, deep breaths, fully expanding your lungs and exhaling very slowly. Concentrate on feeling each muscle in your body relax as you exhale. Practice it at least twice a day for 5-10 minutes a whack.