HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nikon Monarch, Buckmaster and Leupold vx3
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
robbcayman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nikon Monarch, Buckmaster and Leupold vx3

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

If you are going to spend around $500-$600 on a scope, I'd certainly take a look at a Zeiss Conquest.I really like this scope as those who have read my comments know.

I have 1 top end Zeiss scopes and 2 of the top end Swarovski and 1 top end Kahles scope. Frankly these 3 set me back roughly 3X the cost of the Conquest. I am not yet convinced that any of these 4 scopes are 2X to 3X as good as the Conquest. I have only had this Conquest about 1 year. It is on a 50 cal. ML that I load pretty close to the max. I'd guess I've put 200 rounds through it. Not really a "longevity" measure as such, but so far the scope has taken the recoil and the wide range of weather conditions we run into here in the deep south fine. As far as low light ... seems fine to me. It is not a crisp edge to edge as these other I mentioned, noir is the contrast at long distance as sharp. But I am about convinced that the additional $1000 - $1500 was a very big expense for a very marginal improvement in useful performance.

Commneting on two that you mentioned being interested in, I have a 2 Vari-X III's (1.5-6x32 Compact and 3.5-10x50) and had a Monarch (3.5-10x50). In my opinion from using these in the field too, as well as the Conquest, the Conquest is a step above. Mine is the 3-9X50 MC with the #20 Reticle. So just might want to keep that one in mind though you didnot mention it.
I'm now considering thisscope too. I have looked online and the reviews for the conquest have beenawesome!! I'm going to head to my local bass pro this weekend and see for myself. Thanks.