HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are bigger cartridges really better?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

A .300 cal be do the job withvery little issues.
Yeahgenerally its shot placement,bullet selection and a cal that you can handle.
*BUT PEOPLE HAVE TO KNOW,
The issue will always come down to the individual hunter and his confidence in himself, and the resiliance of the animal,when unexpected things happen.
My cousincrawled to the top of a crested mountainto spot deerdeer huntingand was charged by a sow grizzly who was protecting her cubs.the grizz at the time wasabout 200 yrds away.
He told me that Grizz covering ground so fast he panicked bolted dropped his gun his pack and bolted.
My brother and 3 others had to go up there with him the next day to grab his gear.
He still hunts with a .300 mag, me with a 30-06, some of us with 7mm,and 6.5 but we never ever hunt alone in this area anymore.
Just because of the high density bear pop.
As far as I'm concerned anymore, 2 bullets flying at the same target in the same spot are better than one.
Choose whatever cal you want, alot will work,I have never been charged but I do hunt in areas that have a high density bear pop.
To me its not the huge caliber I carry as much as it is knowing there is backup.