HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308 for moose
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2003, 04:40 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: 308 for moose

bigbulls,
Again isn' t the middle ground being left out for the convenience of arguing a given view point: 110 pound women and 250 pound men -- nary had anyone who looked like either one of those two in my elk camp nor in my Michigan mentor' s camp up the road over all these years.

Also, is it written in granite somewhere that if one shoots a sub 30-06 you' ll automatically be a great shot and if one shoots an over 30-06 caliber rifle you will be doomed to gut shoot everything you hunt? It must be -- I keep hearing the same refrain everytime a smallbore fan even broaches the question of larger calibers.
-------------------------------------

My boys are 20 (almost 21 now) 6' 1 and 165 pounds and BOTH shoot 338 mags (after starting with a 270 and a 30-06, they took over my 338' s (2) and bumped me on up) -- these kids are wirey. " ..... Dad, when I shoot at an elk I don' t feel anything....it' s not a problem." I' ll grant you that this is an instance of only two out of thousands; however, they fly in the face of such magnum assumptions.

So is there something wrong with these kids? I' d say they' re closer to average than the 110 lb woman and the 250 lb fire hydrant. Why aren' t their boyish shoulders being torn asunder by their rifles and their brows bloodied by their scopes? [It might have something to do with being TAUGHT how to do it.]

Leapin' Lizards, Batman! They' re shooting magnums AND they are accurate! What are we going to do now? Well....

Never Go Undergunned
EKM