HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Blazer conspiracy
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Blazer conspiracy

I was staff shooter for a local archery shop when Blazers first came out. The owner wanted to know if they were worth stocking and had me do a shooting test with them. I was really impressed with how well they stabilized broadheads - at least, until I got up to the 1 1/2" wide, unvented Magnus heads. With 'normal' broadheads - Muzzy, T'heads, etc - they did just fine.

My theory is, since air resistance increases at a rate double the increase in speed, today's bows shoot fast enough that the 2" vanes can do the job it used to take at least a 4 incher to do. But the dinky vanes have to be stiffer and thicker than regular ones so that they can remain upright and not deform and flap around in that heavy wind resistance, so they can actually do the job. Don't have a clue if I'm right or not, but it's the only semi-reasonable explanation I could come up with for 2" vanes doing something they shouldn't be able to do at all.

I didn't have any adhesion problems at all with the Blazers, using some off-brand super glue gel I got at Wally World. All Bohing vanes have some kind of activator coating on the base, so you're not supposed to clean them. Maybe there's some compatibility problem with the glue you're using?

Magical they ain't. But, as long as the bow is tuned and you're using the proper arrow, and don't go with huge Mongo-type broadheads, they do work as advertised.

I still prefer feathers though.