HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you had one choice only....
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 AM
tsoc
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you had one choice only....

Man this is a hard one! I didn't hunt much with my father,not that I didn't want to,he was a one week a year guy and my brother and I were not permitted to be at hunting camp the first week of the season.(it wasn't just us for any of you wondering,no children of members were allowed)
My father in his own way gave me a very cherished gift when I was in my mid thirties,I hadn't hunted in 7 or 8 years,I used to hunt with my brother and our routine got disrupted when one of our hunting party got killed in a car accident,my brother began to hunt with a friend at their camp and I wasn't part of the equation.I focused on building my business and lost touch.
My father called me a couple of days before the rifle season was to begin probably 15 or 16 years ago now and said hey come hunting with me on opening day.I initially declined citing I was to busy with work and blah,blah,blah.Then I thought about it my father was in his late 60's and we really had never hunted that much together,I missed hunting very badly and just thought I would be foolish not to accept his invitation.So we went,and on a beautiful clear and cold morning I had a buck down by 8:00,my dad was so excited and with all that was going on that morning I had a tremendous realization.I missed hunting very badly.From that day forward aside from family and business it is my number one interest.
As it relates to the question,I would like to have my father with me as I am slipping through the woods like a ghost,taking in all there is to take in,the sounds,sights and smells.I would like to have him see the hunter I think I have become.Hoping tomake him proud one more time.My dad passed away in February of 2007.