HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 AM
PreacherTony
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

ORIGINAL: mobow

Actually, I can't. Gun hunting means nothing to me. There's absolutely NO tradition involved what so ever. I've done an awful lot of hunting and fishing in my life w/ my dad, but NEVER deer hunted. NEVER. I've never had the tradtional deer camp to head to every November. No big family gathering, no pre season sighting in of the guns....none of that. I've pretty much always hunted solo, or at best, with 1 other guy. So bowhunting is just the natural progression for me.

Hunting deer with agun means absolutely NOTHING to me. I've got absolutely nothing against it, but for me.....no thanks. I've done it, I've killed quite a few deer w/ a rifle. It's almost...anti climatic for me. I feel more like a sniper than hunter.

The last time I hunted w/ a rifle was 3 years ago, and only because it was with a rifle my dad had given me. I thought it would be cool to whack one w/ dad's rifle, and it was. Opening morning, 1/2 hour into it, I had 2 does on the ground. I haven't picked that gun up since, except to clean it. There's just no challenge in it for me.
Bro ... you don't know what your missing....... I'm talking about the tradition and commradery (sp?) part .....