HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sixth 20"+ fish of the year
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM
indianahunter83

Default RE: Sixth 20"+ fish of the year

You didn't keep your opinion to yourself. I never judged him, I just stated I hoped he let that bass go. You are right... keeping one or two fish isn't a big deal however keeping one or twoof the larger bass in the body of water is a big deal. I don't know how many of you saltwater fish but the advent of the slot limit coupled with the crack down on netting has caused redfish populations to soar. Keep your limit of 14-16 inch bass. Bass growth rates are such that they can get to that size reasonably quickly. The larger fish however are needed for spawning. I'm well aware that people will always keep bass. I just would rather see people eat the 1-2 lbers and release the 5+lber. Not for me but for the next generation of fishermen. I don't know if you have ever seen a 7 year old accidentily hook a 5+lb bass while bluegill fishing but what happens is priceless. That kid is left with a memory that will hook him/her into fishing for the rest of their life. By taking out larger bass we deprive the kids of the opportunity. I just want the next generation to have the opportunities we did.