HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow Sight Setup Question
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Pro-Line
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Sight Setup Question

I shot the same Pro-Line bow for nearly 20 years...3D as well as bowhunting. It was a LONG compound, but fit me perfectly and I shot it very well. That bow must have had 20 new strings put on it, but was a workhorse and served me well. Obviously I'm not one for buying new things, so since it wasn't broke...I didn't fix it.

Well, that bow had some wheel/cam problems last year, so I replaced it with a new Martin. It's half as long and half as heavy. I like that...but some other things have me confused.

The old bow was set at 65lbs. I was never into tuning...but it must have been close as I never had too much planing issue with broadheads. With that bow, I only ever lost 2 deer and one was a skin wound...the other a gut shot.

I had 3 pins on the old bow...20, 30, and 40.

I paper tuned the new bow and did the walk back tuning as well. I set the 20yd pin, and then backed up to 30. The 20 and 30 pin are so close that I don't think it's worth my while to put a 30 pin on the sight.

LONG story short. What pin configuration do you guys use? How many and at what yardages?

Most of my shots are inside 20 (because of years of hunting with a recurve) but some may be out to 35. (That's as far as I'm comfortable right now)

I thought about putting a 15 and a 30 pin on the bow, but is it really worth the effort?
I also thought about setting one pin at 25 and ONLY having that pin.

Any advice would be great.