HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tired of trying
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 11:40 AM
sour01

Default RE: tired of trying

I am far from an expert myself---but have had some successes. It really helps to get to know their routine---where they roost---where they fly down---what their pattern is for the rest of the day---where they go to strut mid-morning.

Last year I shot 3 big birds from the same tree because I was able to pattern them. They were not always roosted within 100 yards---but they eventually showed up in that part of a field everyday before 10:00 AM. I would sit and wait clucking and purring every now and then.

This year I found that afternoon hunts paid off. I had a 4:00 PM appointment with a tom each afternoon. When he would show---he would gobble---I would call---he would walk off. I finally setup one afternoon where I could close the gap unseen. It worked.

Putting yourself on their route back to their roosting site in the evenings could pay off as well.

I have had them fly down just out of range and walk in the opposite direction as if they know that it is me calling. BUT, and you never know when, every now and then, and who knows why, they decide to come on in.

You have been very patient so far and I know how frustrating that can be. One thing I know for sure---they will not strut through your bedroom. I am convinced if you stay at it---you will eventually get one. You will be in the right place at the right time---and it will be YOUR TIME!! And it will be a thrill you will not soon forget.