HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much Kick?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much Kick?

I've met plenty of folks who "say" they can stand up to anything or "claim" they can handle recoil of just about anything.

All you have to do is go to the range with them one time... its sort of like saying you are brave enough to do something because you did it once. They will stand-up, close their eyes, yank the trigger, and then expect you to marvel at their skill and courage for shooting such a thing....

Quite naturally... standing up to one, and shooting one well or as well as anything else is a HUGE difference. I'll shoot dang near anything offhand, and from the bench I prefer to keep it under .300s unless I have some sort of recoil dampening rest or some such. I am fairly disciplined and I'll lean in and take a few on the chin, but that for damn sure doesn't mean I like it or lust for it.

I am relatively aware of what my realistic thresh-hold is for being able to shoot for performance from a bench every single time. There are others that are right on the line that every so often I'll catch myself jumping a bit... and thats where I draw the line. You just have to be honest with yourself and get over your pride and ego.