HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Core areas
Thread: Core areas
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
dukemichaels
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Core areas

I don't follow my friend. Maybe we need to tone down the use of the word "core". To me, a buck's "core" area is the one in which he spends the vast majority of his time, whether that is bedding, feeding, or doing whatever else. If you're discussing his entire home range, then that's a different story. Or are you talking about something in between the two?
Ok here's how I see it.

A bucks core bedding area may be about (lets say) like 80 acres. A relatively small area.

Of that 80 acres the buck spreads out unto his core area.. we'll say like 200 acres in any one direction to get to food, water, and social issues at times.

Then their are 12 mos. of the year. And the buck will travel within that larger home range (lets say) another 300-400 acres in any direction. This being his home range in which he moves to for again... cover.. food.. etc. Winter months are a good example of this.

Obviously the home range is the distance total a buck has to go to achieve his basic functions in life. His core area the smaller area within that range where he spends that time doing his duties that he must meet (food, water etc) during specific times of the year. His core bedding the little area he finds within that core area (at that time of year) in which to bed safely.. but always with the wind in his advantage.

Thats what I am saying.. and I think thats what most writers and "pro's" try to elude to.