HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Optima Powder/Bullet Combination
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Optima Powder/Bullet Combination

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

Chap- From the Savage you now this 300 BO is a great bullet. I just decided to try it in my other ML’s, If you don’t mind $1.00 a bullet and maybe some availability problems. Don’t to shoot it that much for hunting so cost is not a problem. Another one to try is the Remington 300 gr .458. I have a couple of hundred and they shoot as good as he Barnes for me and cost about .25 apiece. I think the Barnes Original will hold up better at Savage velocities but the Remington should do well with a regular muzzleloader but I have yet to try them.
Almost bought some 300g Remington at Cabelas, but the 300g XTPs were $13.99 and the 300g Remington were $24.99, maybe that was for 100, have to go back and look. Anyway I thought, well if the Savage was designed around the XTP, maybe I should just stay with that, which is what I did.
I think that is an OK, bullet, but I honestly like "stronger", that is just me though. Stronger is better in my mind, but I don't shoot cast yet, but I have tried them in the Savage 8" group no good.
Chap