HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting swamps and wetlands
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 PM
bloodcrick
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting swamps and wetlands

Josh, here is a place i used to hunt for many years but since has been reclaimed by the coal company and some of it bought out. It was my very favorite place to hunt back then, and Me and buddys killed alot of deer out of there. It was not so much the swamp but how it tied in with everything else. It has bottle necks, thick bedding areas flat ground and rolling hills from the old minning process. you can see the long rolling hills to the south. you can see the patoka river to the north that floods out and keeps the swamp wet all year. It has many finger ditches connecting the swamp to the river. It was/is a waterfowlers dream. Im not sure why but i had this place all to myself for deer hunting other than bringing buddys along who had sucess there to. THE PINK=STANDS and the WHITE=BEDING AREAS. The two stands to the east were bears to find in the dark, and it was a very long hoof in. trail tacks played a big part here but it was worth the effort as many deer fell from the very western stand between me andfriends in that bottle neck between the hills and the swamp. The two stands to the east were killer also, they were located where a thicket and hard woods came together and just west of the crop fields. Like i said it was just how things came together here. The stand Due North only got hunted a little but was good also. As you can see there were alot of good looking areas North West of the swamps with fingers and bottle necks everywhere but they were just way difficult to acess.