HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turks won' t come in close enough
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 03:43 PM
nettech

Default RE: Turks won' t come in close enough

Sounds like the toms in your area are becoming call shy, when this happens try not to call too much and try setting up 2-4 decoys using hens and jakes place one hen ahead of a jake like its getting ready to bread the hen, this will usually tick the tom off and he may come in to kick some turkey butt. Dont place the decoys right infromt of you either, place them to the sides of you so the tom has an area to cross that offers you a good shot. Also when it becomes late in the spring season its always a good idea to put your gobbler to bed, then you know where he is in the morning and try to setup about 100 yards from his roost and get out there well before sun up, dont begin calling till the sun illuminates the sky with a pinkish color and or you here the red bird (cardinal) sing. The red bird is the first bird in the woods to make any noise. At that time you should start out with a couple roost clucks. That should get the tom to gobble and come out of roost, if he only gobbles at you once dont worry, he has acknowledged that there is a hen in the area and he is comming to check it out. If he doesnt gobble at your first call call just a tad bit louder that will normally get him to gobble at ya and acknowledge that you are there. I have been in the same situation that you were/are in and these tips that I found out along the way of my 13 years of turkey hunting seem to help me out alot. Give them a try I think yo umay be able to put that boss tom in his place...your stomach. Rremember dont over call the tom, it will just make him lose interest in you.