HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blasting a Bison
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Blasting a Bison

Today I decided to shoot something I hadn't shot in a while. I had removed the scope from my White Bison in .504 so I had no notes as to how well it shot with the open sights that came with it.

The White Bison is considered the bottom of the line in the White Rifles. If there is a bottom of the line. The Bison was a meat and potatoes hunting rifle. Wood stock made of Myrtle wood, and nothing fancy. Even the sights are very basic.

So I set up at 35 yards and figured I should be able to hit the cardboard off a pizza from the other night.. I put some duct tape to give me a point of aim and then loaded.

I forgot to even wipe the oil out of the barrel. I loaded 70 grains of Pyrodex P, a felt .510 wad, and then a 560 grain Bull Shop conical. Using a RWS #11 cap I touched it off...

I was pretty pleased with the group there.. so I then loaded up with the same powder charge, the same wad but changed over to a .503 460 grain Bull Shop conical.

At no time did I swab the barrel. I just loaded and shot as fast as I could. I never kept count of the number of shots I fired, but it seemed to lay them in there pretty good.

I then moved a piece of tape to the edge of the cardboard and this time shot some of the 460 grain conicals but had ran out of wads...

It seems to shoot well even without wads. This short rifle will make a good stalking and tree stand rifle. I moved the scope off it and might just leave it like that...