HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Buck Barometer
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
njbuck22
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Barometer

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the original intent of this post wasn't to say that there are NO big deer in a given area, but to say that if someone was stating that they are holding out for a 150+ class deer in certain areas it is likely that they are kidding themselves.

I believe that statement is true. Also, what Duke said a few pages back is very true as well. You can't say, "Well your state does have big bucks, just look at the record books. You just have to look harder." It gets down to the land available to hunt. All the way down to property lines. Last year I had been glassing a bean field where I was seeing bucks ranging from 120" all the way up to pushing 150". The problem was the area was completely inaccessible to legal hunting. I can go to the Philly zoo and see a lion, but that doesn't mean I can hunt it. I know where a number of big bucks (none in the 150's, but some pushing 140")bed and travel very close to a property I hunt. The problem is there is no hunting allowed in their core area. Believe me, I have tried every conceivable way of ethically and legally trying to get access to the land and been denied. My only hope is that a doe will get hot and come onto the property I hunt and come by my stand while I am in it.

Point is, that sometimes even if they are there, that doesn't mean you can get them.
I agree with your post 1000%. That being said though, just cause it is true doesnt mean that a 100 inch deer is a top end representative for the area. Just cause one doesnt have access to where the top end bucks are living doesnt mean that the top end bucks from their area are smaller. Gaining access to the right land is the most important aspect of shooting a monster.