HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My "bow only" poll
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM
GordonGekko
Fork Horn

Default RE: My "bow only" poll

I think Germ and Virginiashadow make very powerful points, and lets be honest the fewer hunters there are the worse off we, as hunters, will be. I see fewer and fewer people in the sport every year and it makes me fearful for the future of hunting. Some folks would give up hunting if they cannot firearm hunt. Now, I only bowhunt anymore because I think it is the purest most challenging way to deer hunt, but I certainly want to see our hunting heritage preserved and I fear placing any more obsticles in the way of getting folks in the woods is a bad thing.

That being said, I hate the amount of insane pressure placed on the woods during gun season and overcrowding is an issue we all face. But, I believe in reality there are fewers young hunters every year and that bothers me.

Furthermore, since we are talking about the 2nd Amendment, it was interesting to me that Justice Scalia noted that traditionally bows were considered a type of arms. Even though it was dicta, and it may seem far fetched, it is foreseeable that some anti-hunting groups would no doubt use that same traditional definiton to attempt to ban bows. So in short, for those that would give up your second amendment rights you may also be giving up the protection of bows. Just a thought.