HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can you string a bow without a bowstringer?

At 6'6" and 380, I'm about the size of your average NFL offensive lineman so, yeah, I'm a little larger than most.

Stringers... There may have been a sringer like we have now, in fact I would guess there probably was something like it, but you gotta remember that not everyone had a comprehensive archery catalog back then, and we didn't have the internet either. I only knew of a couple different ones. There was a leather cup mounted on a loop that you put around your foot. You put the bottom limb tip of your bow in the cup and did the push pull. It didn't really do anything different than the regular way except to keep your limb tip from getting scuffed up. And some folks had a wall or workbench mounted fixture that let you put the bottom limb in a support so that you could keep the limb tips in alignment while you put the string loop in the nocks. It was nothing more than a steel plate with a couple of polished steel rods welded to it. Other than that, it was the old step through.