HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistic or
Thread: Ballistic or
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ballistic or

I've shot all my deer and hogs with either Remington CorLokts, Speer Grand Slams, and Swift Scirroco's

EXCEPT FOR ONE.....

I shot a buck hot on the trail of a doe a few years ago with a 130gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my .270 at about 60 yards. He was quartering towards me. The FIRST shot entered breaking his right shoulder and took out the lungs. That stopped him from running, but he was still standing. The SECOND shot was broadside right behind the shoulder exiting on the oposite side in the same spot. He jumped and started trying to run away after that.

Needless to say I was already slack-jawed since he had not dropped yet.

The THIRD shot was quartering away. Caught him at the back of the ribs and traveled forward to break the oposite shoulder. That finally made him go down since he had no shoulders left to run with.....but he still had his back legs pushing him forward on the ground. He FINALLY expired while I was trying to reload.

Every other deer or hog shot with the first 3 mentioned bullets has either dropped in their tracks or ran less than 40 yards.

Maybe just coinsidence that it took so much to put this one buck down since he was rilled up going after that doe.....but it turned me away from Ballistic Tips. All three bullets DID NOT exit.

The guy that skinned the buck out just gave me this funny look when he got the hide off of the chest area. He said...."damn.....what did you shoot this sucker with!!!!!!"

The heart, lungs, and shoulders were completely destroyed....but you would never have known it by the deers reaction to the shots.