HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MI Final leg of the IBO Triple Crown
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
awingnut

Default RE: MI Final leg of the IBO Triple Crown

Hats must be taken off to all the courses this past year for hosting the Michigan IBO Triple Crown Events.

It is important to note though, that all the MICHIGAN triple crown events, were extremely long courses this year. (Excluding Whitetail) I'm wondering what the motives areof those setting these ranges. A course doesn't become "CHALLENGING" when every target you walk up to is over 40 yards. For example, at Washetnaw there were only 11 targets under 40 yards, making the average from the blue stakea total of 41.5 yards. I have never shot a national or a world tournament in which a ten target loop or any course for that matter left me shooting nearly every target in the 40 to 53 yard range. A course, in my opinion, becomes "CHALLENGING" when targets are moved in and out of ranges and size along with coloring becomes a "CHALLENGE." Every national or world class IBO range I have shot consists of that type of shooting. Moving your sight from 20 to 30 to 40 and 50 yards, all in one ten target loop. That is what I believe is challenging to any archer involved in shooting competitive 3D archery. Not shooting maxed yardage situations from any shooting stake.

SO, again what is the motive of the Michigan triple crown? Is it to bring people into this sport? Or is it to make the courses so difficult for the AVERAGE archer to compete in that they become frustrated and leave the sport.What about the youth just getting started in this sport. This past year, when one shooters stake was maxed so was everyone elses, including the cub and youth stakes. If we, grown adults are frustrated with how these courses were set how do you think the youth feel.

Tuscola pulled a record number of people this year to one weekend tournament, over 300 shooters. Yet theIBO state championship doesn't even come close to reflecting those numbers?

I think we all need to take a step back and revaluate the direction of the Michigan IBO Triple Crown. We are not benefiting the state by hosting long courses. We are not benefiting the state by having three triple crown events in the SOUTHEAST corner. Michigan is one of the LARGEST bowhunting states in this nation. It's time to look at the big picture!

John Fernandez