HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22-250 on Deer
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Angus74

Default RE: 22-250 on Deer

This is a subject thats been beat to death here, and will probably get heated..lol but since you wondered what people used.... Ive taken a few with my 22-250 and my wife has also.. I took one with a neck shot,, very close range 20-30 yards steady rest,, I dont really condone neck shots, but I took one, and it worked well, very destructive, but could have been a miss or wound easily if only 2 inches either direction. Ive taken others as well as my wife that were all broadside, less than 100 yards and lung shots behind the shoulder with only rib contact, no shoulder bones hit, all were passthrough shots with the deer traveling less than 50 yards each time, and two dropping in their tracks.. Now all these shots were with a steady rest at completely broadside deer and very careful placement, but they all worked out fine,, but Ive also heard LOTS of stories of people not having positive outcomes with the 22-250. In mine I shoot handloads, and for all the deer, I shot 63 grain Sierra Soft Point bullets, they seemed to mushrom well and not fragment on entry, Id never try it with hollow point or ballistic tip ammo,, I always wanted to try some of the Nosler Partitions to see how they do, but havent shot one with it for several years, and now the wife has stepped up to a .243... Soo that my experience,, I wouldnt recommend it for a lot of people, but someone who is patient and has some experience and will take the time to use goodbullet placement, and proper bullets,it will work.