HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - After the shot...Shipping your elk?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
GoatSlayer
Fork Horn

Default RE: After the shot...Shipping your elk?

Make sure it is frozen. Most flights won't allow it if not frozen. It will be to your advantage to ship your clothes and anyother items home via UPS, U.S. Post Office or Fed-X. (much less weight and cheaper then shipping meat). That will give you 2 check-in at the airport. We do this all the time. Saves us hundreds each year. We hunt yearly in Alaska, Canada and several elk states.

If not be prepared to eat some big shipping costs. Hunted with a friend several years back that got his elk the morning of the last day to hunt. Got the elk butchered but not froze. It ended up costing him over $600+ to get it home. (next day air). OUCH... He was warned about the costs before he pulled the trigger.

I checked in 3 boxes of caribou from Alaska and a box of Salmon and paid $120.00 in excess bagage. (remember 2 were checked bagage). Cost to ship cloths and other items home insured ($62.50). I did borrow a gun from Alaska friends so I just had my carry on and all was good to go. If I would have had to pay for it all it would have been over $680.00 so good savings.

Goatslayer........