HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

Greg the thing in your favor is there is a good snow load keeping the elk down. I would be up every weekend watching how and where they disperse as the snow melts. Things will change as water thins out in late July and early August. Find open spaces up high to watch antlers develop. The bulls will spend many hours up high trying to stay cool. Look for heavy timber with good feed, waterand escape routs near by. When I draw my favoite unit around Fairplay I have found that the elk are not at ease until you get about a mile off the road.
Two things you need to know other than every nock and crany of your unit[hard to do] is where the bulls and cow are at the start of season. Because the bulls will go find the cows in "defendable areas"* to breed.
* A defendable area is a place is with thick timber with small openings near by, one or more water sources to include wallows and a canyon or ridge that provides good bedding and escape routs.
There should be many of these areas from looks of the map. Good luck in your search. I always liked June and July scouting because it makes me feel I am ready for August.
Gselkhunter