HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VX-III vs. VX-L?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VX-III vs. VX-L?

Ridge runner-while I respect all the time,effort,practice,research,skill,and money you have invested in your particular hunting style,it appears you are slightly narrow minded when it comes to what other people want/need. Everybody ain't out there with intentions of simply shooting deer out as far away as they can,thus we all don't need to dissect our equipment down to the detail that you do-nor do we want to. Respectfully,the rest of us can happily hunt deer within reasonable ranges with our "inferior" setups. I've been building rifles for 27 years now and actually know a lil about them and the people who shoot them. Everybody wants top accuracy and while I agree,everybody also has different tastes. I actually prefer a good quality scope with no more than 40mm mounted as close to bore as possible. While my tastes run to classic style,I don't tell customers that other styles are inferior. Now I'll shut up and let ya blast me.

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

saluki,
the vx-L is just a gimmick to sell overpriced scopes, almost all of the rifles built today have the comb high enough to get the center of the scope up at least 2-2.5" above the center of the bore and still ensure a good cheek weld to the stock that is essential in accurate shooting.
so you lower your scope 1", that amounts to 3" more drop at 300 yards, and cuts back your MPB range, so the lower your scope, the shorter the range you can "hold on fur" and still connect.
If you get a scope to low on a high combed stock, then you hafta mash your face into the stock to see through it, if you buy the vx-L, and put it in high rings so you can see through it comfortably, you don't need a curved bell vx-L
RR