HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pick a stand...any stand...exit routes and some advice needed.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:17 PM
MGH_PA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pick a stand...any stand...exit routes and some advice needed.

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I like the Southern dot more than the Northern. I think the bucks might cruise by the mouth of that finger rather than walk out in it. How are you going to get there once the corn is out of the field? That's when I would really love to hunt it. They may just stay in the corn while it is still standing.

Another spot that caught my eye is the West end of the sheep fence, where it gets close to the corn field. It seems the deer would walk around that end between it and the corn field. Could be a nice trail there. You could set up South of the fence and anything going around it would be upwind on your W NW winds.
Corn is almost never picked in these fields until late November or early December, so it will be all standing corn through archery season. The sneaking in and out of the standing corn without me seeing them is of some concer, however, I picked this spot because for some reason, the inner first few rows on the curved edges of the corn usually is much smaller/immature or sometimes non-existant compared to the other corn which allows some time for me to catch deer exiting the woods and before they enter the taller standing corn.

The area west of the fence is great, but very, very thick, and very few trees suitable to place a stand in (it's basically an overgrown portion of sheep pasture.