HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??
Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

Well, considering that many adults are so "sold" on the necessity of burning lots of powder, it's no wonder the marketing craze would eventually reach the youth market. When's Remington going to chamber that little Model 7 Youth rifle in something like .300 WSM? My daughter's barely able to carry her teddy bear and blanket at the same time, but I'd really like to get her up and shooting something soonthat'll"KNOCK DOWN"a grizzly bear at 800 yards.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON (or daughter)

Now that I'm done rolling my eyes, and all sarcasm aside, I think we're getting close now to the point where many of us have a lot more money than we have common sense. Considering that our predecessors did quite well hunting everything on this continent with boring calibers like .30-40, .30-06, .270, etc., is there REALLY a need for all of these magnums?Yeah, I kind of have an axe to grind here. I see more and moreguys on the range lately who spent crazy coin to get the latest whiz-bang magnum and optics,yet complain about the accuracy of their new beast when it's clear from watching them (all the shooting basics) that they're TERRIFIED of their new rig. Rapid breathing, jerked triggers, evencaught one guy I was trying to coach close his eyes anticipating the punch he was about to receive. So, aside from the obvious benefits, there IS some peripheral "entertainment value" in my range time these days!

And as much as I hate the thought of this marketing craze hittingourhunting future, it's probably inevitable that theboneheads among us will go out and equip theirpre-teens with the same hyped-up stuff the adultshave. Maybe my daughter's just fortunate that she'll cut her teeth on a .22, .223, and .243 - IN ORDER and WHEN SHE'S READY?

Back on topic though - If someone has reason enough to modify their Weatherby for a detachable magazine, that's their choice. It's THEIR rifle, even if it IS a Weatherby (like, I'm going to swoon atthe sight ofone of Roy's babies?) If it were somethingwith some known collector's value I'd probably make sure he at least knew that first, but I've given up wondering why people do some of the things they do, and it'sreally none of my business in the first place if it doesn't affect my safety.