HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what range do you prefer to shoot game at?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what range do you prefer to shoot game at?

Matter or personal opinion, and the terrain you hunt. But as Greg said, most shots are under 20yds!!!! Now if you're asking about how to set pins, I'll tell you that depending on how FAST your bow is, you may want to try something a little different. 20-30-40-50-60 may be ideal for a guy shooting a 300fps set-up, but for me being in the low to mid 270's, I like 24-32-40-48-55 for my pins. This give me enough room for error that I SHOULDN'T be able to foul things up if I'm a little off on my distance guestimate. Add a rangefinder into the equation, it's still helpful, IMHO, because and arrow drops a long ways between 30-50yds, but in that first 20-24 yds, it doesn't really have that much drop. Some guys like their shots ongame a longdistances because the quieter the noise of the bow going off, the less likely the deer is to move. I personally like them real up close and personal, where Ican hear them breathing.