HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - apple trees
Thread: apple trees
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 AM
GR8RALLY

Default RE: apple trees

Apple trees are a great addition to a land management plan. I too planted apple trees (on a budget as well) and planted bare root style, about 2-3' tall. Bought tubing and stakes etc. The trees are doing great, however the first year or two, the growth was very slow, since the energy was being placed on a new root system. (I planted in spring time) This is there 3rd year and growing strong and lush and actually fertilized them this year as well which should help the progress.

Buckalley is so right about the type of apple trees you select. If for solely hunting purpose, go with type that do hold and ripen later in the season. I did both, tried to offer "candy" for a longer period of time if you will, plus some trees are for the wife and I too, deer need to learn and share! LOL.

I plant all types of trees and shrubs every year (sounds like I've done this for a long time, this is actually my 3 rd year doing it. LOL) Next year I think I'm just going to plant six or so 6-8' 15 gal apple trees (cost about $30 per tree), the budget gets smaller every year(Cost of gas, lime fert, EVERYTHING, lol). This way I don't need to wait as long for the apples to be produced and less time will be spent on the root system. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and your budget. This year I planted 200 3-4' shrubs($350), last year 200 3-4' ($1200.00)various hard/soft mast bare root trees and 750 various pine, cedar fir 10-14" trees, etc($125). Some for cover, some for hunting season, some just to feed all types of wildlife year round. (plus the wife likes the trees/shrubs that bloom pretty flowers in the spring! )

Fall planting will be fine. Also tree size (as well as budget) will dictate if you want to protect the trees from the wildlife in forms of fencing or tubes. Small 2-4 trees will be nibbled to death once deer find them, jimo and in my area anyway's. Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide!