Thread: Round Up
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
louddrummer69
Typical Buck

Default RE: Round Up

ORIGINAL: dtk913

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69

We are in a CRP and WHIP program and what we did was spray in the falland then burned it, then plowed it in the spring. We had to do this to destroy the fescue. Our disk wouldn't cut through that thick grass. It was a year process but it is well worth it. We just planted 4500 trees, oats, ladino, millet, sorghum, sunflowers and we have some turnips to get in the ground in July.
If I may make a suggestion on your turnips. We have been planting turnips for a fall plot for about the last 5 years, and we have found that they do a lot better if you don't plant them until around labor day. It seems like the cool Sept. days are alot easier on them than the hotter July and August days. I am talking about Southern Iowa, so it shouldn't be much different where you are at. Just a suggestion though.

Dan
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Won't bother me to wait if you think that would be better. We have about a quarter of an acre worth of seed. This will be our little sample site for future turnip plantings.