HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - John McCain on Guns
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: John McCain on Guns

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have always liked him anyway, my fear is he won't get elected simply because of the party he belongs to and the association it has to Bush. I have noticed the elections tend to swing one way, then the other. And it's time for a change. I hate that people will vote by party instead of looking at the actual person that is running.

I also agree with him on some forms of gun control. I have never been opposed to background checks or even waiting periods for that matter. I would almost accept proficiency qualifications before being able to purchase one. I have seen too many people with guns in their hands that really shouldn't have them. Scares the crap out of me sometimes. I have never needed a gun so badly that I couldn't wait a week to get it, and the background check never bothered me because I don't have anything to hide. And I wouldn't have a problem taking a 10 or 20 question firearms safety test either. I really wish if they were going to have a waiting period though they would put it to good use and actually check up on the person trying to buy the gun. Otherwise it seems kind of pointless to me.

I do know though that once you crack that door someone will try to shove it the rest of the way open. Sort of like trying to buy a handgun in MI, what a pain that is. I'm surprised I don't need a note from my mom and am not required to inform all my neighbors I purchased a handgun.

Paul
With all due respect Paul,

When was the last time a criminal filled out the forms and waited out a waiting period to get his hands on a gun? Oh yeah, and qualified with it too.
The so called "sensible gun legislation" is just more hurdles put in front of honest gun owners while the criminals continue on doing what they do, breaking laws. Living in the burbs of Chicago I know this all too well.

One tried today at my counter in VA and was shot down. Happens more often than you might think. I've a few guys actually get arrested in the shop.