HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - aiming a recurve
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Chris W.
Typical Buck

Default RE: aiming a recurve

Chris W yes some are more talented than other, but Jordan, Bird, Magic, Lebron, Tiger, Arnold, Sampras, Federer, Agassi, Bonds, Griffey Jr, McGuire ...... none of them "aim"they just "do"
You're right, those individualsjust do what they do, but keep in mind the vast majority of the population will never be able to reach that level in their chosen sport. The individuals you mentioned are/were extremely giftedindividuals and consideredthe cream of the crop even among their peers.Many try to be like those individuals andthe majority fall way short. Same way in archery when folks try to immulatesome of thebig name archery icons. Rather than moving on and finding a shooting system that works for them and allows them to shoot with a decent level of accuracy and consistancy,they accept mediocrity all in thename of being what others deem"traditonal."

Now that said you CAN aim and shoot with a recurve/longbow. Well, I can't because I shoot cross dominant (impossible to "sight" being right handed shooter and left eye dominant and vice versa) but shooting same dominance point of reference, gap etc can be used but most people want to shoot trad to get away from all the gizmos and gadgets and to experience real bowhunting.

Buy a Dalaa or Gamemaster, trick it out stabilizers and elevated rest and fiber optic sights and SIMS sticky's all over it .... heck shoot a release too ...... but by doing all that did you really accomplish getting back to the basics ?
No one needs a tricked out bow with all the bells and whistles to utilize a concious aiming system of some sort. Though those shooting the tricked out FITA bows in the barebow competitionclasses typically do utilize some form of conscious aiming. My equipment, and the equipment of many others, is about as basic and simpleas the modern recurve and longbowcan get; with no elevated rest, no stab, no external attached sight, no mechanical release aids. It's just a bow, a string and an arrow. The only real differencebetweenmy shooting and your shooting, is howwe utilize what we have.

The last part of your statementabout experiencing "realbowhunting", now that's amusing .