HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Mounting
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
nctaxi
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Mounting

There isa fine line between getting it all and screwing it up, and without trying to sound like a smart alec, that's what professionals get paid for. I will try and explain it the best I can... The skin of a turkey is pretty thin, maybe 5 kleenex's worth. Underneath the skin is fat and under that is meat. You must get all the yellow fat out or you are asking for trouble. Kinda like Russian Roulet, you might pull the trigger a few times or maybe once, but eventually you will fire. Dermestid beetles are nothing to joke about, they can and will ruin every mount they come into contact with. I have seen mounts with the hair literally falling out. Clean all the fat out, then go to the store and get Borax, detergent isle, and powder the flesh areas with it. If you don't get all the fat out, you are giving the beetles something to eat. I have seen them start out with a bird nest in an attic and before the owner knew it, he had lost thousand of dollars worth of quality taxidermy. I know that I sound like Chicken Little but I have seen the damage.