HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default Do You Plan Your Range Sessions?

I usually have a definite plan in mind when I head to the range. Here are some of the things on my "to do" list.

1. Haven't shot the Mustang in quite a while, and have only ever shot it with Pyrodex or T-7,never real black powder. Need to try it with my abundent supply of GOEX FFFg and my favorite bullets (250 and 300 grain Gold Dots) and see how it does for accuracy and velocity.

2. In the .58 Zouave, .575 balls shot better than .570 balls (both with .018 patches). Need to try some .020 or thicker patches with the smaller balls and see what happens.

3. Along the same lines, I wonder if a tighter patch in the .54 Great Plains will shoot even better than what I've been getting with that gun? Guess I need to try those .020 patches in the GP also.

4. Last month I shot one 5-shot string of 300 grain Lee REALs out of the .54 Great Plains with 95 grains powder. Got a five-in horizontal group. I'm sure that was too much powder for the REAL. Need to try some 70 and 80 grain loads.

5. Looking at my targets from the .50 Renegade with the pitted barrel, I see that all of the six different bullets I tried were shot with the same load - 80 grains Pyrodex RS.Not great accuracy with any of them, but both the 300 grain Gold Dots in crush rib sabots and the Remington 300 grain SJHPs in MMP orange sabots did group into about two inches at 50 yards. Maybe I need to try a few different powder charges with those bulletsbefore I chop off the barrel.

There are more, but these are my top five. What about you?