HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 PM
TEmbry

Default RE: Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Im not a big fan of baiting deer, I like to catch them on their natural travel routes. However, I do have feeders set up on the edge of crop fields and food plot fields.

For videoing, we do NOT allow the feeders to be shown, we usually dont hunt near them anyhow.

I dont think a bait pile represents what a hunting show should. I believe a hunting show should be educational and a challenge hunt. No feeders, no bait....Pure HUNTING. Seeing a mature buck shot on tv, while he is standing below a feeder, isnt exciting for me.

However, if you must bait, or its a tactic you truely believe in and employ, go fit it. If you want to video and feel that the bait will add to your success, do what I do in bare fields or cut crop fields that have been eaten down:

Get a large, quality lawn spreader. Fill it with corn, buck-o-la of whatever grain/grain mixture youd like and spread it out. If you want, do it in the woods. This will broadcast the feed over a larger area. It will be hard to see on film and appear more natural to wildlife.

Like I said, I do this late in the season. Ill spread anywhere between 5 -10+ bags in a field that deer travel through. Ill put out some kind of scent/scented feedto help them find it. 2 days later, Ill glass the field at night and see what poppin'.

Works great, and like I said, on film...it would be hard to notice.
Honest question....why on earth even bait the animal if your too embarrassed to show it on film?

If your going to bait the animal, why not just have a feeder out there and let it be known?

Seems pretty deceitful to me...

How long have you been filmin for, and for what production company?