HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Game cam guys....(all year long guys)
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Buck Magnet

Default RE: Game cam guys....(all year long guys)

[blockquote]quote:

They are use to humans and don't really worry about humans at all unless its hunting season.
[/blockquote]

Can you explain this one to me?
Its really hard to explain, but I will try my best. It seems that when hunting season is out and I am just out scouting or riding my quad through my properties, the deer are not worried at all about he. I can walk past them at very close ranges without them ever acting nervous. They will usually lift their heads and watch as I walk past then continue what they were doing. Put me in camo with a bow in hand and the deer wouldn't let me get within 100 yards. It is almost like they are able to distinguish when a human is a threat to them and when that same human isn't.

As to why this is, I am not 100% sure, but I believer several things come in to play. First, like I said, these deer are interacting with humans on a daily basis. They are surrounded by a maximum security prison and the local county jail/police station on one side and the other has an airport. I also believe how the interactions unfold has something to do with it. If I act casual and don't make it a point to stop and stare at them, they don't get nervous. I remember Rob making a comment about while guiding he could take his hunters right in to the stands on 4 wheelers and the deer wouldn't spook as long as the motor was running because they didn't perceive it as a threat, but as soon as the ATV was shut off, the deer would go on high alert!