HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brand new to it
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brand new to it

Just keep practicing. I wouldn't recommend any new equipment or changes. If you are interested in checking the "tune" of the bow most decent shops will have someone knowledgeable enough to check your bow and maybe shoot it through some paper(google: paper tuning an arrow). Like others have said, practice from stands in hunting gear(when you can), develop a system to repeat everything the same way every shot (i.e. Stance, Draw, Anchor, Aim, Release, Follow Through). That will definitelyhelp you at longer ranges. Don't be scared to practice at longer ranges as you get more comfortable, I don't recommend shooting at longer ranges at deer and such but practicing at longer ranges will make the closer ranges seem like chip shots. Once you are confident in your shooting you may want to get a broadhead target and start thinking about shooting some broadheads, if you know anyone you think is a knowledgeable bowhunter maybe ask for some mentoring from them as far as broadheads and other details(there is a ton of broadhead info on this site as well).

Beyond just shooting, bow hunting itself is an entirely different animal than gun hunting. Attention to detail in stand placement is crucial, like wind direction, height, available cover, etc. The importance of all of these thingsis magnified a ton when you are trying to not only get adeer within bow range but also draw a bowon them undetected.

Just my opinions, I'm sure if you stay tuned to this site you will pick up loads of useful info. Just don't get overloaded, a simple approach has less room for error so "Keep It Simple Stupid" is a decent motto to usemost of the time when you are starting out(and as you gain more experience it will still apply).