HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .357 mag lever action for deer?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .357 mag lever action for deer?

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

I have a 30-30 Marlin lever action that I have used for deer already (while hunting in most situations I use my 7mm mag but in thick bush I will use the 30-30). I was looking at a .357 lever action the other day. I load rounds for the 30-30 and .357 mag for one of my pistols already. I was just wondering if any of you have used a .357 mag round for deer? Reason for the question....I was taking stock of my ammo and realized just how many hundred .357 rounds I have and thought the reloading cost of the .357 is less than the cost of the 30-30 (just happen to have 4-5 hundred bullets that I bought in bulk leftplus already have the powder). Now it's not a rifle that I need (I will get that from my wife), but since I have so many .357 rounds already (and the supplies to make so many more), I thought that a .357 lever would be a fun gun for plinking. I never thought that I might use it for deer so have never done any research. So the question...Have any of you guys used this cal. for deer? As stated, I'm not need this rifle for hunting but just wondering (as also stated I'm going to pick one up for plinking at the range anyways)
I used to work with a woman in Texas who used a Marlin lever-action in .357 Magnum for deer hunting. She thought it was just great. But as you may know, the Central TX deer are not much larger than a Collie dog!! I agree that ranges must be kept short.