HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How important is barrel length?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is barrel length?

Choosing a barrel can a real chore. The barrel you choose for a 308 or any other cartridge hasvariables other than just length. Contour is every bit as important as length. And contour truly depends on shot frequency, and the weight that you feel comfortable with.And probably the most important factor in barrel selection is the quality of the barrel.

Most quality barrels can be an accurate barrel(regardless of contour)if you have the time and expertise to make that barrel shoot. A lot of shooter's get better accuracy from a short fat barrel because they are simply easier to load for. Less harmonics in the barrel, or at least a shorter Sine wave with less noticeable peaks and valleys. Some one explained barrel harmonics earlier. I can only add one thing to that explanation. It is important that you get the bullet to exit the barrel at the same point every time. This is true. But actually more important is that you get the bullet to exit at the centerline of the sine wave. The bullet leaving at the centerline gives the best consistent accuracy(lowest SD's). The height of peaks and valleys can change due to exterior variables. But the centerline always stays the same.

You need to tell us what you want to do with the firearm before a real barrel suggestion can be given. You will get greater velocity(to a point) with a longer tube. But when you go to the longer tube, all the variables become more critical.

I do hate to agree, but SW PA does look a lot like WV. I hunt in SW PA also. I thank G_D that SW PA is a lot like WV. I also thank him for the point restrictions PA put on their deer in this area. I have been all around the country, and this is where I choose to live. No worry about firearms laws here(YET). Nice trout. Tom.