HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Caliber would you pick for deer/elk/moose???
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Caliber would you pick for deer/elk/moose???

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

A re-edit

2.257 Weatherby Mag -- deer, maybe elk. probably not for moose.
3.257 Roberts -- deer. probably not forelk. not for moose.
4.25-06 Rem -- deer, maybe elk. probably not for moose
Just curious, as I've never hunted elk or moose, but, from what I've read, I seem to recall that while moose are bigger, elk are tougher. Has this been your experience?
I have shot moose with a bow, ml and CF - having harvested myself 14, guided for 9 anda number others with partners. Moose areBIG but lack stamina, they seldom show affects of a shot but rarily go far either.In terms of bull moose on several occasion I have seen 2, 3 and as many as 4 shots hit the vitals and still have him standing on all 4. Some think b/c they don't scamper off after being well hit they are babies but the fact is they are BIG and it takes them longer to feel a hit vs even an elk. I'd say they are pretty durable just not real tough to trail.

In terms of elk I have a little experience with them as well have taken 12 (2 bow and 10 rifle). They are the opposite of a moose, stamina and lots of it. I have seen well hitlung shot elk make a pretty good scamper after the shot, something I've never seen a moose do. God forbid you single lung or hit a liver and push him! They don't give you the 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance as a rule like a bull moose will. I agree they are tough in every aspect.

IMO a cartridge that is suitable for one is suitable for the other and likewise if not suitable for one it isn't suitable for the other. It's a matter of size of animal, areas they inhabit, and tougher situations (shot angles, etc).