HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cast 38-55 gas -checks?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cast 38-55 gas -checks?

I guess I should have said that I always try to use large charges of slow burning powders with cast bullet loads, and that when such a load does not completely fill the case, I put a Wonder Wad over the inverted gascheck to prevent having any airspace between the gascheck and the bullet base. Although I am not convinced that it is really necessary to eliminate all the airspace in cartridges using smokeless powder, I like to do so. (Note that I did not exactly RECOMMEND that anyone do this-just that "this is what I do"!)

I would like to know what you consider to be so radical about the idea of using an inverted gascheck? What sort of dire results do you expect from the use of an inverted gascheck?? (I am not saying you are wrong-perhaps there's something I have not properly considered here?? I am always open to new ideas!!)

I agree that upon firing, the flange of such a gascheck probablyexpands outward against the cartridge wall, then the barrel wall, upon entering the bore, But, IMO, all this does is seal the gases behind the bullet, helping prevent gas cutting of the bullet basefrom gas blow-by. As a matter of fact, the reason I invert them is to achieve this sealing effect. I'm sure that you know that the Lyman-type, non-crimped-on gaschecks often fall off the bullet after it clears the muzzle?? As a matter of fact, when using a Lyman-type gascheck on a gascheck bullet, it quite often happens that the gascheck will come off of the bullet base inside the case, evenbefore firing. Only if you use the Hornady crimp-on design can you really count on the gascheck staying on the bulletbefore you fire!

I am not aware of any incidents when such a loose gascheck inside the case has caused any problems. However, IMO, it is better to have something between the bullet base and the inverted gascheck. The Wonder Wad works well for such an application, as it fills the space with something relatively solid, yet light enough in weight that pressures are not significantly increased. I have been loading cast bullets in straight-sided rifle cartridges with both black and smokeless powders this way for about thirty years now, with no illeffects on any guns they have been shot in.

Especially when there should be no leading problem with a properly sized bullet at 1350 fps??
1350 FPS is pretty fast for a PURE LEAD bullet-they run around 5 on the Brinell scale. And I am using them NAKED-the ONLY lubrication in my .45/70 loads is provided by the Wonder Wad!