HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question on improving my factory rifle
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on improving my factory rifle

There is nothing wrong with that rifle. Rugers are fine guns. It should be capable of a little better groups than that, however. The first thing I would recommend is getting the trigger worked over. A pull in the neighborhood of 3 lbs. will help considerably. You may want to have the bedding checked by a good 'smith. Rugers are a little different with the recoil lug. I solid bed the actions on the Rugers and about 2' of the barrel. The rest of the barrel is free-floated. I'm sure others have done different things with them, but that's what has worked for me.
I don't know if you would be up for trying handloading, but that is probably the number one thing that will improve your gun, providing the bedding is satisfactory. A lot of off-the-shelf guns have benefitted greatly from the right combination handloads.
I'm pretty much a hard-core Leupold guy, but your Burris sounds like it's doing OK if the groups you are shooting aren't wild and all over the place.
Just a few things to think about.....Oh...And by the way.....Welcome to the forums!!!