HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question on improving my factory rifle
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
adirondack46r
Spike

Default Question on improving my factory rifle

Guys,

Looks like there a wealth of information in this group. This is my first post and I'm really looking forward to your input.

I have been a bowhunter most of my life and so I have one and only one rifle. It is a Ruger M77 in 30.06. I bought it new probably about 10 years ago. I have put a hundred rounds through it and it seems to be a pretty decent shooter.

I am interested in spending more time hunting with the rifle in the coming years and so I want to look at optimizing this setup. It is a factory rifle with no enhancements whatsoever. I have a 3-9 Burris signature scope on it.I am not the best shooter in the world buti seem to be able to get1.5 - 2.5" groups off a bench at 100 yds with factory ammo (Federal Prem. 165 BTSP) pretty consistently.

What things would you recommend that I do to improve the downrange accuracy and in what order would you prioritize them? Trigger? Bed? etc.?

I think as a shooter I would be capable of 200 - 250 yd shots on game. Is there any point in spending the $$ with a gunsmith given the current performance of the gun?

Thanks,
46r