HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1-Team Whammy "Hammering Back" Official Thread
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
iamyourhuckleberry
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 1, Right Here!!

Will, I ended up working that Sunday and was unable to get out. I've just returned from a "quickie" in S. Dakota (left Saturday at 4am, drove seven hours, hunted that night and the following morning until noon, and then drive the seven hours back home). I blew a shot on a nice 8.5" merriams. I called two gobblers within 10 yards. I was in a natural depression expecting them to come in from below me (I was on the side of one of the Black Hills). They came in even with me. They too were in a natural depression. Their heads looked like little periscopes peering in from ten yards. I frooze! They were fanning and drumming! They eventually started moving above me. The first to pass was a a small 6" tom. His buddy was bigger so I opted for him. I had to re-position my feet for the shot and in doing so tipped the first tom of mylocation. He start to alarm putt and I quickly drew my bow. The second tom started moving away. I guess the range at 20 yards. I shot. The arrow was flying true but hit the gobbler low on the chest (it essentially cut nothing but feathers). He leaped and trotted off. I tried a second shot at 45 yards. The bugger duck that arrow!

I have daddy duty this coming weekend. so, in Two weeks, I'll be back to S.D.

Here are a few photos:

Is it a duck or a turkey?