HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunter orange
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
djschuett

Default RE: hunter orange

I wear full blaze orange everything but my boots and gun and I've had a group of 5 does walk right by me at less than 15 yards and not see me. Several looked right at me but didn't get alarmed and kept walking ahead as if nothing was happening.

This was at about 9am in broad day light with me sitting on the ground leaning up against a down oak tree large enough to hide my outline. My orange was brand new with a layer of scent killer sprayed on and no UV sprays or any crap like that.

Here in Iowa you cannot have any camo break-up to your orange, so it wasn't that the colors were broken up. For those of you who do believe deer can see solid color blobs and live in a no-camo blaze orange state, you can always rub some dirt on your orange strategically. I don't think the DNR can hold it against you if you get dirty while hunting.

If you look deep enough, nearly all the "What color/UV can deer see?" studies are sponsored at some level by a company who makes camo/hunting gear that wants "proof" that deer can't see their stuff for obvious financial gain reasons. I do just fine without washing out the UV or any other horse-crap like that. When I have deer spotting me on a regular basis not due to me moving, then will I consider buying into this crap.

Something to keep in mind, hunters were killing deer while wearing non-patterned blaze orange a long time before these UV killers and Scent cover technology came along.

It's not like no one had ever gotten a deer without UV killer or without Scentlok.

A helluva lot more deer have been killed WITHOUT those overpriced products than with!