HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - At what point does it become UNETHICAL?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: At what point does it become UNETHICAL?

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

The 890 yard deer thread got me thiking. Many people say long range hunting is unethical but at what yardage does that happen? At what point does your equipment become an unfair advantage?

Is it when you put a high power scope on your rifle or when your bullet travels 3200 fps or is it when you pick-up a rifle instead of a rock?

I think is when the next guy can shoot farther then you alot of the time. Long range hunting takes as much time, energy, practice, and money as bow hunting. It requiresnew skills that every average joe doesn't have and patience to spot your game and wait for the right shot.

Yes there are the idiots that make long range hunting look bad by shooting to far and not practicing, or having the right equipment,these aren't the type of hunters I am talking about.

I haven't been able to do any long range hunting myself but I intend to, but first I have some steps to accomplish. I am now looking for the right caliber and rifle to make a custom built for myself, next I need to begin handloading to creat a consistant quality of ammo, then optics that can handle and adjust the distance and and finally practice, practice, practice. I estimate I will be ready in 3 years. True hunters will only take the shot they know they can and take a animal cleanly out of respect for it,I AM A TRUE HUNTER. Am I unethical?
No you are not unethical in your shooting practices and either where they....
Respect for the animal has more of an ethics issue than long range shooting..
I'm sure if you shot one at that range you'd have respect to get up there right away field dress it, hang it, consume it
and mount it.
Weather or not those shooters in the video had enough respect for the animals they killed like field dreesing it before
it started to go sour, hang it, consume all of it.
I don't know.Can only hope they did.