HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what should i carry
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
millagerobert
Typical Buck

Default RE: what should i carry

I keep 158 grain oregon trail laser cast silver bullets in my smith and wesson 686. I pack it more for the fact that wolves have been getting thicker and braver, and as a backup to whatever rifle I am packing. It is a seven shot so on occassion I put a round or two of bird shot in the last couple of chambers for having the utility of dispatching wounded birds and small game, or the occassional rattler(in self defense of course). While I wouldn't bet on stopping a charging grizz, the .357 is lighter to pack, and so it gets packed, than bigger magnums. I also find my .357 easier to shoot accuratly and quickly, than the bigger magnums. With a 1400 ft per second velocity, and the hardness of these loads I feel confident a couple of these rounds would penetrate far enough to lights out a Cougar or Black bear, or at least persuade them to change course. At close range these loads are hitting with the same force as a 30-06 at 350 yards, or a 300 win at 450, with comparable weight bullets. The .357 was first devised for police to have something to penetrate heavy sheet metal and engine blocks on cars, and it does both. Also if you do some research you'll see what animals were hunted and taken with the .357 by men such as Elmer Keith back in the day, and if it killed in the 30's, it will still kill today.