HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6mm Remington and elk
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Default RE: 6mm Remington and elk

I'd say, "Go For It!"... providing you meet the following criteria:

1) You have hunted with (not just shot) the6mm for > 25 years
2) You hunt with the 6mm the majority of the time: more than with all other cartridges combined.
3 You have a "pet load" you shoot from the 6mm, with big game (not varmint) bullets. You're not still experimenting
with loads, but you shoot one load, knowing full well where the bullet will go, and what it will do when it gets there.
4) You've personally harvested> 10 elk, with any cartridge, onnon-canned hunts.
5) You're fully prepared to pass on a shot due to distance, position of the game, or shooting through brush (which
you shouldn't do regardless of what cartridge you're shooting!).

There are well-documented stories of grizzled old hunters who consistently take elk, moose, et. al., year after year, with the likes of the .243 and .30-.30. The cartridge matters less than the ability to find & stalk the game. It seems, though, that once someone's acquired the experience to consistently get within shooting range of an elk, they've practiced enough with their weapon to put the bullets into the vitals EVERY TIME.

To put it another way, I'd rather be shot at by a newbie with a .338 WM, than a seasoned sniper with a .22lr.

And just to cover my bases, if you don't happen to meet the criteria above, grab a larger cartridge (.270 and up) for the insurance it provides, then get to the range & get comfortable with it.

FC