HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

As far as saying the Kahles is better than Swarovski. I disagree, but we may be splitting hairs. there is a major difference between Swarovski and Kahles(and Meopta). That would be resale value. My Swarovski and Zeiss pieces of glass have greatly appreciated over the years. I think I gave a little over $200 for my first piece of Zeiss glass(straight W. German 6X). I have people try to buy it from me all the time. I have one Meopta scope(great scope). I have never had anybody offer to buy it.I have looked at the Kahles before, but just stepped up a bit and bought the Swarovski.

I don't know how someone that hasn't owned both products can even comment on this subject but yet you did and even to throw Meopta into the mix(although a fine scope in its price class) and to lump it in with Kahles. Lets go thru it point by point.

Resale value ? First off there is a few hundred dollars difference between the 2 brands(retail fixed price)and both companies at one point operated under Swaro because the owner of Kahles haddied and the owner of Swaro(his best friend)took over temporarily . Theyhave now splt up again to go their separate paths.

Let's see I bought a 4-12x50 AVwith plex for 999 and sold it on Ebay for 745. I purchased a 3.5-10x50 Kahles AH for 625 with TDS 3 years agoand later sold it for 625. Now where is the resale value difference?Here are some addt'l tidbits for you. Most Kahles scopes have etched reticleswhich only 1 Swaro av has.The Swaro 4-12x50 I owned had a reticle turn orange one day at the range, a call to their CS and they confirmed it was a wire reticle all that for 999.As far as durability I have purchased just a few 30mm Swaros and one AV and only one had to go go back since it lost POI and it was an AV. I have never had a problem with any Kahles i have ever owned.

But the only Zeiss that compares to the Swarovski is the West German 3X9 in their one inch scope(with the features the author listed). And that scope is over $1,000(last time I checked). The Conquest does not compare quality wise to the A-Line.
I had one of those a few years back and I didn't pay 1000 dollars for it either and it couldn't compare with either a Swaro or a Kahles.

The power ring on my A-line scope is as smooth as butter. The smoothest I have ever felt on a rifle scope. And the repeatability of the adjustments is second to none. It is the only scope I have ever done a box test on that returned to exact zero. Not close, but exact. And I have done the box test with a lot of quality scopes. The only other scope that came close(within 1/2 inch at 50 yards) was a S&B. Most Leupold's and other scopes are off an inch or so. Some friction adjustment scopes are not even close. I do a 4 inch box test.

Yeah I have to use a pipewrench to turn the dial on my Scopes. Conquest is a lot close to the AV then any Swaro owner or Swaro themselves care to admit. It is just a little bulkier that is all but it has a etched reticle .Schmidt & Bender dude get real. I like Kahles scopes but S&B is the rolls royce of scopes.